Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Stepping out of my comfort zone with a Cauliflower Frittata

I have been loving our CSA program. I wonder sometimes if I could buy the same things in the store for less money though. The key reason I do it is that I am buying local and organic. It also challenges me to expand my menu and cook things beyond my comfort zone since I have no control over what I get each week. Some of the things I have been getting are Shonkyu Radishes, Bok Choy, Lacinato Kale, Red Russian Kale, Arugula, Rainbow Chard, Baby Beets, Cauliflower, Kohlrabi and Fennel. A few of these things I have never even heard of much less cooked. I admit some of the recipes I have tried have not been all that great but for the most part things turn out good. Last week I took the Kohlrabi and peeled and diced it. Then I tossed it in olive oil and sprinkled salt, pepper and thyme on it and baked it. It turned out fantastic and it tasted almost like a potato. Tonight for dinner I tried out a recipe that came with the weekly bag of veggies. I did make some changes. I substituted onion for the shallot, broccoli for the chard and I used sharp cheddar cheese instead of the parmesan cheese because that is all I had. The end result was good enough that I think I will make it again and play around with ingredients. Here is the actual recipe that I used.

Cauliflower Frittata with Swiss Chard and Parmesan

Serves 4- 6
Preheat oven to 375°.
2 pieces bacon
1 shallot, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Cups cauliflower, florets and stems cut into bite-size pieces
4 – 5 leaves Swiss chard, ribs removed, cut into 3” ribbons
1 round, glass pie plate, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray
½ Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Put your strips of bacon into a large skillet and turn your heat to medium low.  Cook bacon until crisp and brown on both sides.  Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate.  Add shallot and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Then add garlic and stir for about a minute.  Add the cauliflower to the pan, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and turn your heat up to medium.  Cook the cauliflower, stirring or tossing often, for about a minute.  Add Swiss chard ribbons and cook about a minute longer.  Then, remove the veggies from the heat.   Place them in your prepared glass dish in an even layer.  Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top of the vegetables.

In a large bowl:
6 eggs
½ Cup milk
¼ t freshly grated nutmeg
1 T fresh herbs of your choice, chopped or 1 t dried Italian Seasoning
½ t salt
fresh cracked pepper
Cooked bacon, crumbled

Mix the ingredients above with a fork or whisk to combine well.  Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables in your pie plate.  Lastly, sprinkle the bacon evenly across the eggs.  Place the frittata in the hot oven and cook for about 25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the eggs are cooked, but not dry.





No comments:

Post a Comment